House sitting in Australia can be a great way of keeping the cost of staying and travelling to a minimum. It implies taking care of a house and pets while the homeowners are away on their travels. In a few words, being a house sitter in Australia means having a home for yourself and staying free.
How I became a House Sitter in Australia
I had heard a lot about housesitting from fellow travellers, and in 2014 I finally started my first housesit in Sydney as a solo traveller. Since then, I’ve been housesitting a few times in Perth, the Gold Coast, and I loved it.
In cities like Sydney and Melbourne, hotel room rates for solo travellers come with a high single supplement. Private rooms in hostels are not always cheap and sustainable in the long term. It is where house sitting comes in as a great way to save money on Australia’s accommodation and experience a more intimate stay. That’s why I share my experience about how housesitting in Australia work and my tips on becoming a successful house sitter.
For housesitting in Australia, I recommend Aussie House Sitters.
How to start house sitting in Australia
A few reputable house sitters operate online, but some are overpriced, and some are not targeted at House Sitting in Australia. After robust research, I signed up for Aussie House Sitters, an Australian website that specialises in house sitting only in Australia and New Zealand. For these countries, I only use this website. I like the functionality; the platform is easy to use, straightforward and practical. And it’s best if you only want to house-sit in Australia.
House Sitting Tips for Australia
While house sitting in Australia is quite popular among homeowners and Australian travellers alike, the competition for Australia is high. I share my tips if you are new to house sitting and starting now and want to become a successful house sitter.
- Start your research early. At least 6-12 months ahead of your travels. Australians plan long before going away and want to have everything settled with their pets and house a long time in advance.
- Choose one or more house-sitting websites and ensure you have a top profile to attract suitable homeowners.
- Be flexible with dates and terms. Be prepared to extend or shorten your ideal house sitting time. Take it if you look for six weeks and only get an offer for three weeks. Flexibility is key.
- Many homeowners may look for a replacement after a last-minute cancellation from their usual house sitter. If you can make it, take it. It will show your willingness to help, even if it’s not what you were looking for.
- Don’t stick to a specific area or region. Extend your availability to more areas where there is less competition.
- Commit to house sits that you know are 100% a good match with task assignments.
The best house-sitting websites in Australia
Once you have decided to tap into the realm of housesitting and try out a nomadic life, you need reliable tools to implement it. It would be best if you had good ways of promoting yourself to start with the house sitter lifestyle. You need a trusted website with a large pool of diversified homeowners located all over the territory in Australia. Some sites cater for housesits.
Aussie House SittersI have used Aussie House Sitters to find a top house sit in the last three years, which helped me. In my opinion, this is the best website for finding house-sitting gigs in Australia. If this is the only country you mainly want to housesit, this site comes in very handy, with an affordable yearly fee and excellent service.
Happy House sitters
This is a website exclusively dedicated to house and pet-sitting opportunities in Australia. It’s the only platform that allows members to pause and restart their annual memberships as needed. For me, it’s impressive. Their location-based feature makes access to a secure and dependable network of house sitters even more convenient. Plus, it’s all affordable too.
Grey Nomads House Sitting
This housesitting website involves retired “Grey Nomads” who care for homes and properties while the owners are away. These Grey Nomads, who prefer to travel in caravans or motorhomes, provide services such as housesit and pet care in exchange for accommodation. It’s a win-win: homeowners can relax knowing their property is in good hands, while Grey Nomads enjoy a cosy atmosphere, connect with local communities, and save money.
The best places for finding house Sits in Australia
Between 2014 and 2019, I have been house-sitting in Australia six times. One housesit for a week in Sydney, six weeks on the Gold Coast, and five house sit gigs in Perth and the suburbs. I have been fortunate to get unique homes to look after from beautiful people with lovely pets. I am excited and can’t wait to house-sit again and discover new corners of Australia.
House Sitting in Sydney – How to find good housesitting gigs
I know Sydney house-sitting gigs are on Australia’s top list of many solo travellers. They are, however, not easy to get due to the high competition among housesitters, both local and international travellers.
Here are my considerations and tips for getting good house sits in Sydney.
- Focus on offers outside of the city. I suggest preferring the surrounding areas; it will be easier to get suitable house-sitting gigs.
- Think about the activities you want to participate in during the house sits. The Northern Beaches could be a good area if you are a beach person.
- Make sure you are not locked into your place, i.e. public transportation and other ways of getting around must be available if you want to travel to Sydney.
- Check the neighbourhood, i.e. will you be close to amenities, facilities and people to socialise with? Housesit placements that are far from the city and require long commuting time.
- Ask the homeowners if you can borrow a bike from them or if you can use their spare car to make the most of your surroundings.
For housesitting in Australia, I recommend Aussie House Sitters.
House Sitting in Perth – The best areas for a housesit in Perth WA
House sitting is in high demand in Perth, particularly for those interested in dog and cat sitting. I had the opportunity to house-sit in North Perth for six weeks and spent two weeks each in Ocean Reef and Yokine.
Here are some tips for finding good house-sitting gigs in Perth:
- House-sitting opportunities in Perth are mainly outside the city, primarily in North Perth, the western suburbs, and the northern beaches.
- Think about house-sitting in Perth from May to September. You’ll often find fewer competitors for house-sitting jobs during this off-peak season.
- North Perth is lively, with plenty of restaurants and local markets. Ocean Reef provides a coastal experience with beautiful beaches. Yokine, too, had its charm. It was a peaceful and welcoming neighbourhood.
- Fremantle and Mandurah are two of the most picturesque areas in Western Australia, making them ideal locations for house-sitting.
Perth house sitting gives you a peaceful break and a chance to get to know Australia’s unique culture while staying in comfortable homes.
House Sitting Gold Coast
The Gold Coast of Australia is a fabulous place to house sit during the winter months as its climate is mild and the region offers stunning beaches, thrilling surf spots, exciting theme parks, and picturesque canals. On my Gold Coast house-sitting adventure in Mermaid Waters for six weeks, was a fantastic experience. Here are my considerations and tips for getting good house sits in Gold Coast:
- Surfers Paradise, South Port, Broadbeach, Burleigh Heads, Mermaid Beach, and Mermaid Waters are popular locations for house sitting. However, to increase your chances of getting a long-term assignment, try looking in more suburbs like Coolangatta and the hinterland region of Mount Tamborine.
- For more chances of finding house-sitting opportunities on the Gold Coast, focus on the cooler months, typically from May to August, when many locals travel to warmer areas for holidays.
- Don’t miss these must-visit places, including Surfers Paradise, known for its beautiful coastal views and lively nightlife. Broadbeach for relaxing beachfront properties, weekend markets, and great dining options. Burleigh Heads, for its sunny beaches and fresh markets. And if you’re a surf lover, Coolangatta Beach is for you!
Houses sitting on the Gold Coast offer affordability and allow you to explore these stunning neighbourhoods.
House Sitting in Melbourne
Melbourne is one of the world’s most liveable and friendliest cities, one of the most sought-after destinations for house sitting in Australia. However, it may be a bit challenging to find good house sits. Here are my considerations and tips for getting good house sits in Melbourne:
- House-sitting jobs in Melbourne are highest compared to other capital cities. Perfect for those looking for a unique and affordable way to stay in the city while exploring all it offers.
- South Yarra, Brunswick, Richmond, Port Melbourne and St. Kilda are particularly popular for house-sitting.
- Look at towns outside Melbourne in the West and North for better house-sitting opportunities. Creswick, Ballarat and Castlemaine are also great options.
- Melbourne house sitting provides many enjoyable activities, from visiting ACMI, Federation Square, and Melbourne’s historic churches to exploring the vibrant laneways and arcades.
Conclusion about getting good house sits in Australia
Whether staying for ten days or several months, house-sitting in Australia is a rewarding way of travelling. Because you’re staying for free, you’ll be saving BIG on accommodation expenses.
However, it’s not only about the saving money aspect but also about being able to live in a “real home”, living immersed in a new neighbourhood, becoming part of a community for a while, and exploring Australia differently than the typical traveller route. It is an exciting and another way to explore Australia Solo.
If you want to dig deeper and learn all the tips and tricks from expert housesitters, you can also get the complete Housesitting Guide and start house-sitting worldwide.
For Australia, I recommend Aussie House Sitters.
For global housesitting I recommend
For the US and AUS I recommend
Go back to Rocky Travel
This article was first posted in 2016 and last updated in Sept 2023.
Suppose you find this article helpful for your trip. In that case, I’d appreciate it if you could support Rocky Travel and purchase the Aussie House Sitter membership using the article’s link or the affiliate links in the box below. Thank you!
BOOK YOUR AUSTRALIA TRIP