How to sleep well on a plane with a sleep mask for air travel
We all know the importance of sleeping on a plane. Especially when crossing time zones on long-haul flights, it is crucial to increase flight comfort, and reduce jet lag symptoms. Squishy seats and all electronic devices with flashing lights don’t make it easy to fall asleep on a plane. That’s why I tried out the Tempur sleep mask.
Why is it difficult to sleep on the plane?
Most electronic LED-based devices like built-in TV screens to smartphones, tablets and laptops disrupt our sleep because the light they emit is similar to the wavelengths that come from the sun and tells our bodies when it is time to be awake. Fortunately, there are ways to help make air travel and sleeping on planes more enjoyable.
Next to a good travel pillow, a travel sleep mask can make a difference and improve your comfort on the plane.
If you have tried the ordinary eyeshades for sleeping that you get in airport shops or on planes, you will know that most of them don’t work. That’s true. I have tried them all too. But because I care for my eye health, I came across the Tempur Sleep Mask, the last addition to the must-have travel accessories.
Why use the Tempur Sleep Mask on long flights
As mentioned before, increasing health on the plane should be your goal when preparing for a long haul flight. This is why I chose this comfortable sleep mask for the plane.
Here are the sleep eye mask benefits:
- It eliminates light as the primary source of sleep disruption when you travel.
- It cushions your eye area when you rest on a plane, train or car seat.
- Your eyes stay cool and hydrated when flying.
What I like about the TEMPUR Sleep Mask: The Pros
Tempur is known for its high-quality mattresses, made by a material developed by NASA in 1970 to cushion astronauts during lift-off. All the Tempur products, from beds to pillows and accessories, are made with the same innovative technology and feature the Tempur unique material.
I have been testing the Tempur Sleep Mask for the first time on my recent flight from Perth to Hobart. I used it to rest before departing, in the airport lounge, with a bright light and the darkness you get by wearing these sleep blinders is impressive. Pitch black. I think this is the best blindfold for sleeping on a plane.
The main features and benefits of the TEMPUR sleep mask
Here is my opinion on 10 of the main features of this eye cover:
1. It blocks the light completely to pitch black, even with intense light in the room.
2. Its goggles-shaped form helps stay firm on your face, so it does not move around.
3. The inner foam is very soft and velvety against your skin.
4. The fabric lets your eyes breathe and keeps them hydrated in the pressurised cabin.
5. It adjusts perfectly to the forehead and sits well on your nose, thanks to a dimple in the middle of the mask that prevents the foam from pushing up on your eyeballs.
6. The thicker lower edge creates an inner cavity that allows you to open your eyes without pressing on them as most flat sleep masks do.
7. The special Tempur material does not warm up. I kept the cover on before and during the flight, and the inner temperature didn’t change. So it stays cool.
8. The velcro strap is adjustable so that you can make it as tight or loose as you want to fit your head shape.
9. The padded sleep mask wings allow leaning your head against the seat edge comfortably. I noticed that this also cuts off some sound, which makes sleep more restful. I think this is the best sleep mask for side sleepers.
10. While it’s not as thin as other sleep masks, its design lets fold it into a small purse or pocket, and its lightweight doesn’t add any weight to your cabin bag allowance.
What I like less of the this travel eyes mask: The Cons
It’s challenging to find downsides to this sleep mask, but if there is room for improvement, these would be my suggestions:
- While the elastic Velcro strap allows a perfect fit to your head shape, the inner belt tends to slip over your hair, so a firmer grip is desirable.
- The wings partly cover the ear area, and an ergonomic shape to contour the ears would add extra comfort. So my suggestion is to create a sleep mask with ear covers.
Verdict about the TEMPUR eye sleep mask
The Tempur Sleep Mask is the best eye mask for sleeping I have come across in many years of travelling. If you have light-sensitive eyes, this is a fantastic eye shield for sleeping that will not only provide 100% darkness but also cushions the eye area with a soft and breathable cavity to enhance sleep. You can also combine it with a travel pillow to support your neck on a plane.
The TEMPUR Sleep Mask is a must-have travel gear to pack and what to wear on long haul flights that will help you fall asleep and sleep through on a plane as well as reduce the jet lag discomfort at your destination.
Where to buy the TEMPUR Sleep Mask
You can purchase the Tempur-Pedic Sleep Mask in the best travel gear shops or on Amazon.
Buy it on Amazon: ➡️ TEMPUR Sleep Mask
Pin these pics for later!
Disclosure: as an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This post was first published in Dec 2017 and updated in Jan 2023.