25 Curious Facts About Michela
I’m also the owner of Magic Fifty, a coaching site for women over 50.
Here are some curious facts about me if you don’t know them already. 🙂
- I was born and bred in Italy 58 years ago, but soon after college, I became an ex-pat and lived in Austria, UK, Germany and Spain.
- I’m a baby boomer at birth, but I feel and look younger!
- I love languages, foreign cultures. I speak and write fluently in 4 languages: Italian, German, English and Spanish.
- I have a love-and-hate relationship with my home country, Italy.
- My first overseas solo trip was in 1993 to New York. I have fantastic memories of that trip and a fun thing: I got drunk while waiting for my table at the Hard Rock Cafè. LOL
- On my Australian Solo Trips, I have spent a total of 115 weeks over 15 years and 10 long-term trips, totalling +110 thousand kilometres around the country.
- I love all-around modern art. When visiting a new city, the first thing I do is looking up modern art museums or galleries and checking them out.
- Oh, I also (used to) paint and have done some nice works in the past. A big regret is not being consistent with this.
- I’m a keen (and fast) walker. I love walking in the city and the great outdoors.
- I love hiking. The Dolomites near home, is my happy place. I don’t climb, though.
- I haven’t owned a car for nearly 13 years by now. Giving up a car was a big success and a step towards a more environmental-friendly and minimalistic lifestyle.
- I don’t also have a TV at home. I gave it up in 1997 and never missed it.
- I have a love-and-hate affair with blogging.
- I love reading all sorts of stuff, from magazines, books, web pages; I average read for 1-2 hours daily.
- I’ve been a pescatarian for 5 years (don’t eat meat).
- At the age of 15, I started to play the drums but gave up. Later on, I tried a few more instruments with no success. My biggest regret is not mastering any instrument.
- I love almost any kind of music and spent many years of my youth with many musicians and bands.
- Taekwondo is my favourite martial art, which I started learning 20 years ago. I’ve passed the first two belts; I’m a yellow belt.
- I suffer from a fear of heights. I almost got completely rid of it with the help of self-healing training and a canyoning adventure, and a zip-lining in the forest. But still, get my hurt pumping like crazy on a suspension bridge.
- I love almost any kind of sports, from tennis to golf, to car racing. But I’m not too fond of extreme sports.
- Favourite drinks all day long: Pure Water. To wake up: Black Tea. With a meal: Beer. To celebrate Prosecco or Champagne.
- Favourite Cuisines: Italian and Thai.
Favourite Food: wooden oven-fired Pizza Napoletana and Pasta Della Norma (Sicilian). Favourite Cake: Tiramisu.
Favourite Wine: Gewürztraminer and Prosecco.
- Favourite Countries: Italy, Spain, Germany.
- Favourite Language: German.
- Favourite Country to Travel Solo: Australia, followed by Italy, Germany, Spain, Thailand.
What travel means to me
Travel means more than just holidaying. Travel is a fundamental part of my personal development process. It contributes to enrich my life, both spiritually and mentally and physically. Moreover, it gives me the chance to learn more about myself and others alike.
First and foremost, travel means freedom to me. I cannot think of living without travelling when I start getting itchy feet and pack my bag and go.
On this page, you can read more about my amazing solo travel experiences in Australia.
Life is full of challenges and surprises!
I have learned so much in 12 years of blogging and experienced many different new places, new environments. While I met wonderful people on my solo trips, I also had to face challenges. Nonetheless, I am very thankful I went this path despite all odds.
first published in 2010, updated in October 2022.