What you need to know to Work and Travel in Oz
Thanks to the special working holiday program that the Australian Immmigration introduced years ago, young travellers, between 18 and 30 years old or younger can work and travel in Australia up to one year.
The Work and Travel Australia program is becoming from year to year more popular attracting young travellers from all over the world. Most of them are students but also young people who flow to Australia to spend there a gap year working while travelling around Australia.
The main purpose of the Work and Travel Australia program is to allow young people to finance their travel in Australia. In January 2017 there had been rumors about the extenstion of the age, but this has not been confirmed yet and for the working holiday visa the age limit remains as is.
The age Limit is confimed at 30 years
What kind of visa do you need to Work and Travel in Australia?
First of all you need a Working Holiday Visa also called WHV.
To learn more about it, from how to apply fo your WHV that allows you to travel and work in Australia up to one year check out this fact sheet that sums up the main requirements.
Bear in mind that you need to apply for your woking holiday visa before you enter Australia. In the following paragraphs you read about the more popular jobs available if you want to spend a year travelling and working in Australia.
Reliable sources of information about the working holiday in Australia
There are basically 2 ways of getting a working holiday visa for your Australia gap year, either you research by yourself, in this case you just need to go to consult the Border.gov.au website where you can find extensive information about all types of working visas for Australia.
On this page you can also download the form and find useful information on how to step forward once you have applied for your Australian work visa.
If you wish to get some assistance on this matter and look for professional advise too. There are visa agencies specialised in working holiday visas, who can look after the whole administrative documentation, as well as offer a range of services from work and travel orientation, to providing lists of recruitment agencies as well as offering all kind of courses and training for finding a job in Australia.
Working Holiday Visa Australia Jobs
There are several types of jobs you can do during 1 year working holiday in Australia. Here below the 4 major work categories of jobs:
- [do action=”bold-blue”]Hospitality Jobs[/do] to this category belong all jobs in the tourism and gastronomy branch, such as waiters in pubs, cafè, s, or kitchenhand, guest room service in resorts or hotels.if you are good at cooking then you have fantastic chance to get the job where you want and also the money you want. Australia has in fact permanently shortage of chefs.
- [do action=”bold-blue”]Farmwork[/do] this includes the Australian famous fruit-picking and other jobs at farms. It's easy to find a job in a farm, you just need to be at the right time and right place. There are also the so called working hostels, who can find you a job at a farmer if you lodge in their hostel. Fruit-puciking is hard work and probably not the most craved for but this job can reward you with lots of fun, good company, the opportunity to be in the australian nature.
- [do action=”bold-blue”]Office Support[/do] if you have good computer and communications skills, then you can easily find a job in an office, banks or financial companies offer temp jobs in the cities, or you can work in sales and marketing promotions.
- [do action=”bold-blue”]Travel Writing or Travel Blogging[/do] Probably the best way of earning money while you travel Australia if you also like writing ! There are quite a few of magazines and online travel websites that offer jobs as travel writers. To do do this job you must have some writing skills and English should be your native language. However these are no fixed rules, you can improve your writing skills by taking up a course. There are a few sites that can help you with writing skills and also with finding jobs in this field. If you are looking for this kind of help you can check out this site.
More jobs for an Australian Working Holiday
- [do action=”bold-blue”]Labour, cattle stations and mining jobs[/do]
Working at a construction site or on roadworks or in a mine is truly hard work but if you are willing to try it out, and have some experience in manual work, these jobs are well paid in Australia. Also mining jobs are in great demand in Australia with good pay. Working as a Jackeroo or Jilleroo is also a thrilling experience. If you wish to work as a cowboy or cowgirl, mustering cattle or shearing sheeps consider joining a training course to increase your chances to get a job in a cattle station.
- [do action=”bold-blue”]Nursing[/do]
In the medical and nursing branch there is permanently a huge demand in Australia. If you have the skills and training for it than you can find easily a job in this area.
- [do action=”bold-blue”]Sports and Leisure[/do] if you like surfing, diving, skiing or love any other type of sports, you can work as an instructor or a trainer or a temp help n holiday resorts, hotels.
How to find a job for your working holidays
Many young travellers arrive in Australia without having a job. But it's not difficult to find work in Australia, if you are flexible, between 18-30 years old as you can benefit of the working holiday programs. If you like to have your peace of mind you should start searching for a job before arriving in Australia. There are many ways to look for work, among the main options: you can either do it by yourself, by applying online or browsing through websites that offer expert advice on the Work and Travel program and professional assistance during the working holiday visa application.
There are also different kind of support you can get. In cities like Sydney and Melbourne there are many recruitment agencies that are specialized and can help you find a job and some of them also provide support for getting your working holiday visa granted.
Click on this button to learn more about what a reliable work visa agency can do for you.
Locally you can find phone numbers in the yellow pages or in backpack magazines or in internet. The blackboards at hostels, internetcafès and travel agencies are also a good source of information if you are looking for a job during your working holiday in Australia.
If you are looking for help with working visa click here to continue reading.